March 14, 2021 | General

Tander and Shahin victorious in Race 2 at Phillip Island

Yasser Shahin and Garth Tander made it two race wins from two races in Fanatec GT World Challenge Australia Powered by AWS at Phillip Island.

The #777 The Bend Motorsport Park Audi R8 LMS GT3 Evo pair doubled up after yesterday’s Race 1 victory fighting through to emerge victorious in Race 2.

Shahin put a late pass on the #4 Grove Motorsport Porsche 911 GT3 R of Stephen Grove, who shares the car with Brenton, to take out Sunday’s 60-minute race by three seconds over the father-and-son Grove combination.

Having taken over from co-driver Tander in the mandatory pit stop sequence, Shahin got by Grove in the slipstream on the main straight and took the chequered flag first.

Third place went the way of Tony Bates and Chaz Mostert in the No. 24 Audi R8 LMS GT3 Evo.

Fourth was the Jamie Whincup/Prince Jefri Ibrahim Triple Eight Mercedes-AMG GT3 Evo and Brett Hobson completed the podium in his Nissan GTR NISMO GT3 and was the best of the Trophy runners.

The race was highlighted by a thrilling early race battle between Tander, Mostert, and Whincup in the #888.

Tander consolidated his lead despite a slight touch with Whincup at the first corner before Mostert moved ahead of Whincup and challenged Tander.

Race control deployed the first safety car after Greg Taylor had to be recovered from the gravel trap at the final corner after a spin 20-minutes into the race.

This closed up the field again ahead of the mandatory pit stop sequence, with Mostert allowing Whincup through to, what was at the time, second, after a mistake at Turn 2.

The top four pitted late in the MPS window as Bates, who took over from Mostert, was vaulted by the Grove Porsche for the lead.

Shahin was on a charge from the moment he jumped behind the wheel, passing Prince Jefri Ibrahim in the Triple Eight car and then Bates for second.

Stephen Grove had built a 19-second lead but that evaporated when Vince Tesoriero looped the No. 33 Audi R8 LMS GT3 at the final corner and couldn’t get moving again, necessitating another safety car.

When green flag racing resumed with seven minutes to go Shahin swooped by Grove on the main straight on the next lap for the lead and ultimately the win.

CLICK HERE for results.