CLEAN SWEEP FOR HUNTER AT PHILLIP ISLAND KUMHO SERIES ROUND
The young gun even overcame a five-second-jump start penalty in Race 2 to still claim a clean sweep of wins the first time it has occurred in the series since he did it in the opening round at Eastern Creek in March.
After holding a 20-point advantage coming into the weekend Pollicinas title aspirations took a major dive when he spun out of Race 2 became bogged on the wet grass and failed to finish.
He fought back and finished second in the final race and wound up fourth for the round.
Second for the weekend was Tony Evangelou in his CAT-liveried ex-Ford Performance Racing Falcon though the former Kumho Series champion found himself in dramas in Race 3.
Contact from Morgan Haber sent him spinning though Evangelou recovered to finish third in the race and still did enough over the weekend to finish on the podium.
Haber received a pit lane penalty for the contact though his major highlight of the weekend was his third consecutive pole position yesterday just the second time in series history it has occurred.
Western Australian Matt Hansen finished third for the weekend his second consecutive podium finish in his ex-Mark Skaife/Holden Racing Team Commodore.
Queensland driver Shane Hunt won the Hi-Tec Oils Classic Trophy for older model cars in his 2001- built ex-Brad Jones Racing Falcon AU finishing a fantastic fifth overall.
Television coverage of the round will air in upcoming weeks on Speedweek on SBS and Inside SPEED on Foxs SPEED motorsport channel. A dedicated one-hour telecast of the round will also air on SPEED at a later date.
The sixth and final round of the Kumho Tyres Australian V8 Touring Car Series will be held at Sandown in Melbourne on November 24-25 as part of the Shannons Nationals.
KUMHO TYRES AUSTRALIAN V8 TOURING CAR SERIES
ROUND 5 PHILLIP ISLAND VICTORIA
TOP 10 ROUND RESULT
1. Josh Hunter (Falcon BA) 140 pts
2. Tony Evangelou (Falcon BA) 117 pts
3. Matt Hansen (Commodore VZ) 103 pts
4. Jim Pollicina (Commodore VZ) 80 pts
5. Shane Hunt (Falcon AU) 66 pts
6. Morgan Haber (Falcon BA) 65 pts
7. Paul Pennisi (Commodore VY) 63 pts
8. Ian Yeing (Commodore VZ) 58 pts
9. Maurie Pickering (Falcon BA) 46 pts
10. Bobby Jane (Falcon BA) 44 pts
TOP 10 CHAMPIONSHIP POINTS AFTER ROUND 5
1. Josh Hunter (Falcon BA) 505 pts
2. Jim Pollicina (Commodore VZ) 465 pts
3. Morgan Haber (Falcon BA) 348 pts
4. Matt Hansen (Commodore VZ) 299 pts
5. Michael Bartsch (Falcon BA) 252 pts
6. Bobby Jane (Falcon BA) 247 pts
7. Shane Hunt (Falcon AU) 217 pts
8. Nathan Garioch (Commodore VY) 211 pts
9. Tony Evangelou (Falcon BA) 208 pts
10. Justin Garioch (Falcon BA/Commodore VZ) 207 pts